Why Focus Personal Fitness?
Because we’re not a typical gym. We believe that fitness, health and wellness are essential for a balanced body and mind. We believe in teamwork, and in achieving your goals safely and effectively all within a uniquely designed fitness studio space.
Focus Personal Fitness is different, just like our members. Your customized training program is far from a prepackaged solution. Each of your personal training sessions is tailored to your individual needs, whether you are just getting started on your journey, require specialized programming to aid in rehabilitation, or are an elite athlete who wants to achieve the next level of success.
We want you to succeed. Our trainers will work with you to design a flexible fitness program that works with your schedule and budget, ensuring you have accountability to achieve your goals.
Randy Zabukovec, Owner
PHILOSOPHY: The ability to be healthy and fit involves the balance of your physical, mental and emotional states. Being healthy and fit is a constant challenge as it is not a stationary target. Our daily actions influence our level of fitness and health. Constant and consistent training improves our ability to achieve a state of balance where health and fitness are at optimum levels. My goal is to provide the environment, resources and support for you to achieve your optimum balance of health and fitness.
I have had the fortunate ability to work with a wide variety of individuals from youth to seniors and age group athletes to elite athletes. What continues to motivate me to share, teach and lead are those who are in pursuit of improving their individual fitness and health.
A section of my clientele is competitive and recreational athletes, from a variety of sports including soccer, volleyball, triathlon, and fitness modeling. For all my athletes, I design long-term programs for physical preparation and provide training in either team, group, or individual settings. In addition, I offer movement screening, assessments, and sports nutrition guidance. My personal training clients vary widely in age, fitness level, and exercise experience. By applying similar principles to when training athletes, we’ll start where you are and follow a logical path toward your fitness goals. My aim is that our training together feels enjoyable and non-intimidating, and supports you toward a lifetime of consistent physical activity.
EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS:
- Masters of Physical Education from Memorial University
- Hons degree in Physical Education from Wilfred Laurier University
- Certified Exercise Physiologist (CEP) from the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology
- Certified High-Performance Athletics Coach – Distance Running
- Certified Intro to Competition - Triathlon
- Certified NCCP coaching in distance running, triathlon, cycling, swimming and soccer
- Professor, St. Lawrence College – Specialization in Bonified Occupational Requirements for Law Enforcement
- Certified Defensive Tactics Instructor
- 1st Dan Black belt in TaeKwonDo
- Head coach for the St. Lawrence College Cross Country Team since 2000, helping athletes win 4 Ontario Gold medal championships, 1 National gold and 1 National silver
- 25+years training/coaching individuals with a wide variety of goals and interest in sport, fitness and health.
Hope Leyenhorst, Manager
PHILOSOPHY: Strive for balance.
Being fit and healthy has been a primary focus for me for over thirty years. I continue to strive for a balance between work, family, healthy eating and overall wellness. Being part of the Focus team will allow me to continue to further my own commitment to overall health and wellness but more so encourage, support and motivate others to do the same.
As a wife to husband Ron, and mother to Meredith and Eliot, I understand the challenges we all face in balancing life’s responsibilities with maintaining our own health and wellness. After working for Empire Life for 31 years I am thankful and excited to be in an environment where I can relate my own experiences to help make a difference in others peoples lives.
My goal is to make your experience at Focus a positive one from the moment you step through the door.
Karen Brant, Personal Trainer
PHILOSOPHY: Live a Fit Life, Live a Healthy Life
Fitness is the key to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. As a personal trainer and fitness instructor, I strive to bring out the best in my clients. To accomplish this, I work with my clients, understanding their needs, goals and addressing their limitations. A ‘team’ approach works well as we develop a program that is right for the client.
Monitoring, adapting, and improving, all create a safe and productive fitness program. I believe that my strength as a fitness coach is that I ensure success through motivation. We have fun! My clients will stick to their program because they enjoy it, they helped design it, and they get results.
My specialties include strength training for all fitness levels, which includes group fitness, weight training, and individual client sessions.
EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS:
- Canfitpro Personal Trainer Specialist
- Canfitpro Fitness Specialist
- YMCA - Fitness Specialist Certification
- 15 years certified Fitness Instructor – teaching for the city of Toronto and mentoring fitness instructors
Laura Breck, Personal Trainer
PHILOSOPHY: If you change nothing, nothing will change.
I love watching the transformation as new clients find ways to challenge themselves to change their lives through fitness, nutrition and finding time to put themselves first! Whatever my client’s needs are, I've done it all. I design programs that are client specific and have worked with both children and adults to teach them the basics and help them start living a healthy lifestyle.
I enjoy giving intense workouts that are time efficient and allow clients to push themselves – they can enjoy their rest days knowing that their bodies have worked hard and have earned it. I also enjoy working with small and large group training and especially being a bootcamp instructor, which allows each participant to challenge themselves with new exercises.
EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS:
- National Strength and Conditioning Association Certified Personal Trainer (NSCA-CPT)
- Canfitpro Fitness Instructor Specialist
- Canfitpro Personal Trainer
- Scottish Dance Teachers Alliance Associate Teacher's Certificates for Highland and National
Ron Leyenhorst, Personal Trainer
Health and fitness is such an important aspect of not just physical but mental well-being with consistent exercise being one of the best ways of coping with stress.
Ron retired in 2015 after almost 32 years as a Kingston City Police Officer. For 27 years, he maintained the Police fitness room as well as the defensive tactics room, that is also utilized for cross fit classes. Ron was involved in Training Police Officers at KPF and believes that Kingston has the fittest police officers in the province. Throughout his career, Ron was involved in Special Olympics and the annual Police Memorial run and bicycle ride.
Ron has always been involved in some aspect of fitness and has looked for experiences that push him physically. For the past 15 years, he has competed in mountain bike races and the past 7 years in road bike races. In the summer of 2013 with Randy Zabukovec’s coaching, Ron had the mountain bike race of his life at the World Police Fire games in Ireland and came home with a gold medal and memories of a great experience contending against Europeans in a very competitive environment.
Another of Ron's favourite races was at the WPFG in New York City where he competed in the road bike race consisting of 4 laps of Central Park. Ron enjoyed the challenge of competing against a serious and experienced group in an awesome setting.
Ron enjoys helping others including assisting in meeting fitness goals through motivation, instruction, effort and sharing of experiences. He believes in functional training exercises that are beneficial to health, sports and everyday life. The atmosphere and equipment at Focus help provide the tools to allow you to succeed in your fitness and health goals.
EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS:
- Certified Police Fitness Appraisers
- Certified Fitness Consultant
- NCCP Introduction to Competition - Training Basics
- Certified Basic Cycling Skills – Competitive Cycling Coaching
- CertifiedCanBike Instructor
- Certified Mountain Bike Patrol Techniques
- Certified Use of Force Trainer
- Certified Emergency First Aid/CPR AED Provider
- Certified Crisis Negotiator
- Certified Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
- Gold medal winner in Mountain Bike competition 2015 and 2013 at World Police Fire games
Kyla Smith, Personal Trainer
PASSIONS: Ironman races, rescuing dogs, helping people find their fitness passion
I started in the fitness industry at 18 when I began teaching “aerobic classes” at YMCA. From there onto personal training at 20. I have always loved fitness and even more seeing people achieve things they never thought possible whether that is racing or simply living a strong healthy life.
30 plus years in the industry has allowed me to teach and train people with all types of bodies, goals, fitness levels and limitations.
My mantra is always let’s make you as strong as we can. From that everything else will follow. And don’t forget to work and play in equal amounts.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS:
- Queens University BA
- St. Lawrence College Graduate
- Can Fit Pro Fitness Instructor Specialist
- Can Fit Pro Personal Trainer Specialist
Danae Morris, Personal Trainer
Bio coming soon!
Steph Prior, Personal Trainer
PHILOSOPHY: Most often the best results are the ones we don’t see, but feel. The body was designed to move, and my goal as a coach is to provide safe, effective programming to increase longevity and pain-free living. The work done in the studio should improve life outside of it: increasing energy, making activities of daily life easier, reducing pain and stress, and feeling happier.
CLIENT BASE: I enjoy helping busy people get fit and healthy by being on time, having a plan and problem-solving as needed to ensure an effective workout. I have worked with adults of all ages and abilities since beginning my career in 2003, and over the past decade have worked mostly with both working and retired Professionals. I have coached clients through acute/chronic injury, post-exercise rehabilitation and pregnancy. I love to work with clients who are committed to their health and fitness, in my experience, they are the only ones who achieve lasting results.
EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS:
- Personal Training Specialist-Canfitpro
- Fitness Instructor Specialist-Canfitpro
- Hip Programming Specialist Certification-Exercise Therapy Association
- Low Back Pain Specialist Certification-DTS Fitness Education
- Hypertrophy Fundamentals Certification-DTS Fitness Education
- TRX Team Training Coach-TRX
- Bachelor of Arts-Queen’s University
PERSONAL INTERESTS: Running, Walking, Yoga, Getting outside, Organizing, Reading, Baking, Spending time with Friends, Fashion